Friday, March 6, 2009

CHIP AND DIP....ANYONE? Tomato-corn chunky salsa with tortilla chips

Who doesn't like Fridays? I, absolutely love Fridays. Fridays are the days when I usually think mmm.....mmmm.......chip and dip.Why?Because for me, Friday sundown means relaxing and laying back on soft cushions watching movies in a dim lit room with a cartload of chips and salsa at my side and a frosted glass holding lemony Margarita................. heaving a heavy sigh, the comfort of 'Finally Friday'-the gateway to the weekend.Gateway to fun and frolic.So, it's juz chill time.
So, I've selected Kung Fu Panda to watch and puffed up the pillows on the couch and laid out a throw. With all that done, I headed for the kitchen to make salsa.

Now, this recipe is my take on salsa. I have added my own touch to it. Usually, salsa does not call for cooking anything, but it maybe my fear of salmonella that has led me to never eat uncooked tomatoes. So I kind of roast them. And why not? The salsa tastes great this way and the flavors more intense. I, usually, forego dinner on Friday nights, because I have an overdose of chips and salsa. So, beware everyone, this thing is so tempting, it can get you addicted :)
The Snaps in this post are participating in the magnificient click contest.

As, I've said before, in winter I use canned tomatoes because of the unavailability of good tomatoes. But now, with spring round the corner I've used all fresh tomatoes.. This is a simple recipe which has very fresh ingredients. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS:( serves 5-6)
  • Store-bought plain tortilla chips - 1 packet( I use Tostitos)
  • Fresh, ripe tomatoes- 10 ( chopped)( substitute with 2 14 oz. cans of diced tomato)
  • Green chillies -2 ( or to taste)
  • Onions (chopped) - 1(small)
  • Garlic( chopped)- 4 large cloves
  • Coriander - 2 cups( 1/2 bunch)
  • Cumin powder - 4 tspns
  • Sweet corn kernels - 1 can (14 oz.)
  • Chilli powder - 2 tspns( or as per taste)
  • Olive oil - 2 tspns.
  • Lemon juice - 3 tbspns.
  • Salt - to taste

Directions:
  • Heat oil in a small pan and saute green chillies, onions and garlic in it for about 3 mins. Set aside.
  • Drain all the liquid from the tomato-can and place the tomato pieces in large sauce pan. Add chopped fresh tomato and cook on high heat for about 8-9 mins till most of the liquid from the tomatoes evaporates.Add salt and chilli powder. Stir well and cook for another minute.
  • Transfer to a blender. Add the sauteed onions, chillis and garlic.
  • Add coriander leaves. Pulse it for about 5 seconds. Not more because we need a chunky salsa (Do not grind it or make it into a puree)
  • Transfer to a serving bowl. Mix the cumin powder and lemon juice and stir well.
  • Serve with chips.
You might like a peek at these recipes too:
















Luv 'n' luc
Smitha

13 comments:

  1. i love this combo..i like to add avocado also in my salsa..nice entry too with a gr8 click always

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love Salsas, choices of things to add to it is endless. Looks great, enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!!! looks great..enjoy your movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fridays are the same for me too..wow..Love the dip Smitha..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Smitha,
    First time on your blog and I think we do have a few things in common. I like the way you named your blog too. Found you thru Anupama's blog. I am going to be a regular visitor of your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi smitha,
    Salsa and chips are my fav...I too can go on muching endlessly :)
    Have a great weekend and enjoy the movie.
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh ... such addictive stuff this salsa & chips! Especially when a few of your close friends gather around and you chat & eat at the same time, the food is gone before you even realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...thats salsa sounds awesome...got to hide this one from hubby, we recently stopped buying these chips, with some salsa they are indeed addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big big thank you to all you folks,
    Preety, I love avacado guacamole, but don't like it in this salsa.
    Thanks Asha, Superchef & Varsha.
    Thanks Zobars, nice of you to drop by. Will be happy to see you return.
    Suparna, the weather this weekend is great here.We have temps of 76 deg F. Will definitely enjoy:) Thanks
    Muneeba, I agree with you. Never realise how it vanishes.
    And Poornima, it's definitely a good idea to stay away from this chip and dip before it lands us all in REHAB :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. try adding a tablespoon of tequila to salsa. it kicks it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pics are too tempting.. Its a visual treat to visit your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time here....nice space u have...Waiting to explore more of ur recipes sooner!

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll