I love to bake. One main advantage of baking your own goods and cooking your own foods( as opposed to buying them readymade) is the fact that you know and control the ingredients that go into it. Now, isn't that a relief?
Most people find baking strenuous because the outcome flops. I've had alot of friends ask me for cake recipes and all they emphasize on is "easy". I promised a friend an uncomplicated and almost effortless process and here it is . This recipe is the one I give to most cake virgins. Yes, this cake will do justice to your efforts and make you proud. You can use this cake batter to make cup cakes too.
The key to making a good cake is to follow the recipe exactly.
- Butter( at room temperature) - 1 stick( 115 gms)
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Eggs(large) - 2
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 tspn
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tspn
- Salt - 1/8 tspn(optional)
- Milk - 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F( 177 C)
- Butter an 8" round cake pan or line it with parchment paper.Set aside
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now add the flour mixture and mix
Stir in the milk until batter is smooth. (Do not over beat the cake batter as it will result in a hard cake) Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Do the toothpick test to see if the cake is done.(See note below).
- If the cake is not done, reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees F(135 C) and bake for 8-10 more mins.Repeat tooth pick test.
- When the cake is done, let it rest in the cake pan for 10 mins.Then remove the cake from the cake pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- And tada! You are a great baker.
Note: Take a tooth pick or a knife or a bamboo skewer and poke it till the bottom of the cake.If it comes out clean the cake is ready.If it comes out with wet cake batter, it needs additional time to bake.luv 'n' luc'