HAPPY ONAM everyone.
Posting the recipe for a kerala-style potato stew. This stew is usually served with appam and it is also served as an item on the sadhya ela (authentic kerala lunch) . I make my stew in a pressure cooker and I feel it is the easiest way to go about, without consuming much time. Very easy recipe.
Ingredients: ( serves 4)
- Potatoes - 4 medium (each cut into 6 pieces)
- Onions - 2 (sliced)
- Ginger - 2 tbspns (chopped)
- Green chilies - 3 (slit)
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Pepper corns - 1 tspn
- Coconut milk - 200 ml
- Water - 2 cups
- Coconut oil - 1 tspn (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- In the pressure cooker, take 100 ml of coconut milk and add the water
- Add the potatoes, onions, ginger, chilies, pepper corns and salt
- Cook for 3 whistles and turn off the heat.
- When the pressure has released from the cooker, open it and add the remaining coconut milk, curry leaves and coconut oil and simmer for 5 mins.
Paruppu payasam / paruppu pradhaman