Let's talk sandwiches today. I wonder why I never run out of ideas to make sandwiches. Maybe because I love them so. For this one, I shallow fried a spicy chicken breast in olive oil, made a relish of red peppers and caramelized onions,made guacamole (Click here for guacamole recipe) and to top it all grated a bit of sharp cheddar cheese. After all this work I was not going to ruin it by using plain slice of bread. So, I got a good crusty white bread , which is a rare sight in my home. I always opt for healthy whole wheat bread. But, once in a blue moon, it's fine to use white bread. Right?
Assembling was fun and I just kept piling layers and layers on. First, I slapped on some creamy guacamole. Then the relish went right on, then the chicken and then the cheese. No butter on this one. This sandwich makes for a good lunch or dinner :). For us it was weekend brunch.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- Good, crusty, long white loaf like ciabatta or baguette
- Red pepper - 1
- Onions- 2
- Dried oregano - 1/4 tspn
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Olive oil - 2 tbspns
- Garlic paste - 1/4 tspn
- Chicken breast - 1 pc
- Paprika powder or Kashmiri chili powder - 1 tspn
- Garam masala - 1/4 tspn
- Guacamole - 1/2 cup (Click here for recipe)
- Sharp cheddar - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Cut chicken breast lengthwise into 2.
- Marinate with chili powder, garam masala, garlic paste and salt for an hour.
- Shallow fry the chicken in 2 tbspns olive oil. Set chicken aside. Reserve the oil for making relish.
- Now, for the relich, slice onions and red pepper.
- Chop garlic finely.
- Saute garlic in the reserved olive oil. Add onions and peppers and saute.
- When slightly caramelized and golden, add oregano and salt.
- Slice the loaf horizontally.
- On lower half, slather some guacamole.
- Add the onion-pepper relish.
- Top with chicken and finally grate some cheese on top.
- Close sandwich and enjoy.