The result........a really tart plum clafoutis because of tart plums :( But luckily, it wasn't inedible. A tad extra of powdered sugar dusted atop helped.
Lesson learned..... make hay while the sun shines.
So, to reduce the tartness of the fruit I also caramelized them after pitting.
Since it was my first attempt at baking a clafoutis, I had my fair share of doubts. Is there less of flour? Is there too much of milk? Is the batter too runny? But, all went well.( We women just worry for nothing :) The recipe was pretty easy. Easier than baking a cake.
When I saw my clafoutis all puffed up as it baked in the oven, I thought "wow!" Then, just like a souffle, it deflated when I took it out and let it rest . That was a disappointment and the next time I bake a clafoutis, I would definitely see if I can work on that .
He loved the dessert and that was one more feather to my cap :)
So, here we come to the recipe part.
Ingredients : (Serves 4)
- All purpose flour- 1/4 cup
- Fine sugar- 1/4 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Butter - 1 tbspn (melted, cooled)
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Cream- 1/4 cup
- Medium plums- 10 (halved, stones removed )
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tspn
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 4 individual cups or a baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar and eggs in a bowl. Beat well to combine. Add butter, milk, cream and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Place plums, cut side up, in prepared dish. Add flour mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until just set. Let stand for 2 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.