Sunday, June 17, 2012

Zebra cake

The Masterchef Australia Season has started all over again and I love, love, love the show. I never miss an episode. Such a pleasure watching people cooking good food and all the more 'beautiful food'. There a so many talented people out there. Good to see wonderfully good food with quality ingredients. Have watched Masterchef USA and India and to be frank, I liked only Australia. The focus is only on food and no cribbing and fussing. I learn so much about food from this show. The judges are fantastic too.
I can just go on and on and on about this but let me just sum it all up with a Big Hurrah! for the Masterchef Australia series.


Now, let me get to my baked goodies. This time round, I want to share the recipe and pics of a  Zebra cake.  I think it looks adorable. I'm impressed with myself. Pat, pat, pat on my back. This cake went straight to a cousin's home. So I could not taste it, but, those who did, said it was fabulous.

What I would do differently next time,
1) make more layers. This time I tried just few.
2) Since I now know how to do it, I would spoon the batter a little neater next time. This time the job was shabby as you can see  :)

The layers were not so clear on the outside . But , when cut, there was this beautiful display of brown and white.The design looked so fashionable.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 cupsall purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 medium eggs at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup warm, whole milk 
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.  
  
Directions:

  • Preheat  oven to 400 degrees F or 205 degrees C . Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper or butter and dust with all-purpose flour. 
  • Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
  • In a large mising bowl, beat butter and sugar using an electric mixer set on low speed, until the mixture resembles damp sand (about 3 mins).
  •  Beat in the eggs one at a time on medium-high, until wellblended and  a smooth fluffy consistency is reached. (About 7-8 mins)
  • Add vanilla and mix.
  • Add 1/3 of the sifted flour mixture and milk alternately and mix until you have added it all.
  • Do not overbeat this mixture. Once the flour is incorporated well, stop mixing. 
  • Separate this batter into 2 equal parts. To one part add cocoa powder and mix well.   
  
Now to create the zebra design.  
For this the batter has to be poured in a particular fashion into the mold.
  • Take a large spoon or ladle and first spoon the vanilla batter right into the center of  the prepared pan. Tap the pan thrice to spread the batter a little.  
  • Next, spoon the chocolate batter right in the middle of the vanilla batter and tap the pan.  
  • Repeat these 2 steps alternately till you have added all the batter. (see pic above)
  • Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean — 25 to 30 minutes. 
  • Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
Photobucket

3 comments:

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll