Thursday, January 29, 2009

Flaunt it - Rasmalai

The rasgullas, I had made, vanished in jiffy. Did you guess the culprit? Clue- It wasn't me.
Rasmalai is nothing, but, rasgullas soaked in reduced, mildly sweetend saffron milk.So, obviously, you must have guessed that my second post will, defintely, be rasmalai. And, yes, you're absolutely right.


It's not that I had rasgullas left over from what I had made earlier. But, not wanting to prepare the same thing a second time, I had to hide a few, secretly away, from the mithai-searching eyes of my sweet-toothed husband. With the rasgullas, safe and sound in tupperware, in the vegetable draw of my refrigerator,( which I have found he never looks into), I slept peacefully. Next day, work's made easy. I had to make only the ras and pop-in the malai(rasgullas)....Guess what? I got the biggest compliment from hubby dear. He said it tasted as good as the authentic mithai-shop rasmalai. Having heard it from his mouth( since he is hard to please) I am on cloud nine.

Here is a chance for all of you to flaunt to your friends and family too. Work your magic. Here we go....
Ingredients :

For ras:(the sweet milk)
  • Whole milk - 4 cups
  • Saffron- few strands
  • Cardamom powder - 1/4 tspn
  • Almonds and pistachios (chopped)- 2 tbspns
  • Sugar - to taste

For malai:

Directions:

  • In a non-stick pan, heat milk and make sure that it's done on a low flame to prevent it from boiling over.
  • Add saffron to the milk.
  • Stir regularly, to prevent milk from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
  • Simmer milk, till the 4 cups reduce to 2 cups.(you will notice a lot of milk cream has accumulated in the saffron milk. This adds a good texture to the ras)
  • When that happens add sugar, as per taste, to the milk ( I usually add 5-6 tablespoons). Stir and let the sugar dissolve.Add cardamon powder.
  • Now take the rasgullas and gently squeeze out some of the water(sugar syrup) in it.(don't squeeze it out till it is dry. squeeze out approximately 2/3 of the liquid in it.It should have a little syrup in it)
  • Add these rasgullas to the sweetened saffron milk.Let it soak on a low flame for 2-3 mins.
  • Turn off flame.
  • Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
  • Now, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped nuts (I had only almonds in my pantry).
Luv 'n' luc'
Smitha

6 comments:

  1. hi chechi..the instructions r very very easy to follow and iam thinking of giving it a shot today and i will let u know about how it turned out..thanks for this wonderful blog..i hope this will be very useful for everybody ..take care..bye..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, it looks yummmmmmmmmmyyy....Thanks for this recipe Chef!!!!
    -viji

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats...great start and hope this goes well.u've been a great cook from the start...now let the world know...and taste it too...Neethu

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! rasmalai looks fabulous..it's my fav. i also got the same recipe from my friend..though i have jotted down in my blog, i haven't tried this recipe.

    thank you for your lovely comments smitha.. i am also sure that i will visit your blog frequently :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! it looks delicious n yum!
    u have a very nice blog smitha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am salivating..they look fantastic..

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll