Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ela Ada

I know I'm way late once again in making a post. I'm leaving for India this weekend and when is a better time to shop than now. Have shopped till I dropped :).
Busy with all the packing and the excitement is driving me crazy. Will be visiting my sister, in Dubai, for 2 weeks and then, off I fly to India where family, weddings and good weather wait for me. Glad to leave winter behind. Looking forward to mom's food and loads of fun.

I'll be gone for a good 3 months, but, I think, I will pop-in here, once in a while to make new posts.

Before I bid adieu , I thought I'll post one more recipe. Mouth-watering Ela ada. It's a very popular snack from Kerala. Can be served for breakfast too.

I had searched the whole of Saint Louis for banana leaves and finally found some frozen banana leaves at an asian food market. I was so excited because I have been longing to make ela adas.

For those of you who can't find banana leaves, you can substitute it with parchment paper.
Ciao!

Ingredients: (Makes 5 adas)
  • Rice flour - 1-1/2 cups
  • Hot water - 1-1/2 cups
  • Salt - to taste
  • Banana leaves or parchment paper.
Ingredients for for filling:
  • Grated coconut - 1-1/2 cups
  • Jaggery - 1/2 cup ( or according to taste)
  • Cardamom powder - 1/4 tspn
Directions:

Clean banana leaves with a wet cloth. Then place them over low heat for about 10-20 secs to season the leaf. Set aside( If using parchment paper avoid this step)

Directions for making the rice dough:
  • In a pan slightly roast rice flour.
  • Then add hot water with salt and stir well.
  • Take off heat. Cover and set aside to cool a while.
  • When slightly cool, knead it to make a soft dough. Cover and let it rest.
Directions for the filling:
  • In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the jaggery with a tablespoon of water.
  • Strain this melted jaggery and get rid of the dirt left at the bottom.
  • Return the strained jaggery to the pan and add the grated coconut. Cook for 5- 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat and cool till it reaches room temperature.
Directions to make Ela Ada:
  • Cut the banana leaves or parchment paper into small, 20 cm squares.
  • Divide the rice dough into 5 equal parts
  • Spread one ball of rice dough evenly on the banana leaves/parchment paper; use your hands to spread the rice dough as thin as possible leaving a 1 cm margin on all sides. ( See pic)

  • Place filling on one side of the spread dough. (see pic)
Fold the leaf/parchment paper in the middle and press the sides to seal the ada well.
  • Take an idly steamer and add water to it and place on medium heat.

  • Place the leaves / parchment paper flat on the idly mould trays and steam in the idly steamer for 15 to 20 minutes.


Once the adas are steamed and cooked, peel of the leaf/parchemnt paper and serve with some hot tea or coffee. Ela ada can be served hot or at room temperature
Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Luv 'n' luc'
Smitha

43 comments:

  1. Aint I jealous?? :D..Have fun Smithu..:)..n thos adas are best..I have given up the Ela hunting here..:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Smitha, ela adais look so good...simple and tasty! Have fun in India :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh...Vaayilu vellam vannu...I too always use those frozen leaves. Just showed Manoj this, gotta make it soon:)...urs looks fabulous.
    Btw...enjoy ur vacation, so cool to be going back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. yum yum one of my favt..! Looks so delicious dear, Have a happy jolly time dear..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh kothipikkan thanne irangiyekuva alle.....adipoli....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smita,missed you! Have a good vacation sweetheart! And I guess by the time you are packing to get back to USA, I should be packing too! :D

    Ela ada's looks perfect, sweet and delicious! In another 4 months even I will be on the ela hunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this delicacy best.Have a safe journey and an enjoyable trip.Any chance of a visit to Chennai?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello smitha,
    Going home :) ye ye! am so happy for u sweetie :) have loads of fun! Lovely ela ada, looks yummy , would taste heavenly with a drizzle of ghee I guess. Nice clicks dear.
    Will miss u.
    Have a great vacation!
    God bless!
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv those adas, have had it once when my friend brought it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ela Ada looks so delicious.... enjoy you vacation Smitha :)....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to know you are back to Kerala.
    Ela ada looks delicious.

    I think you should take some plantain leaves along with you. Then you can freeze them and use for long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Smitha,
    Good Evening!
    Oh!My God!my favourite snack is ada.when guests come,in kerala ,so fast the ladies prepare this and serve them hot!I love that coconut and jaggery mixture!wow!
    you can keep chakka varattiyathu inside for a change!but we must prepare this in banana leaves only!
    enjoy your long stay in Kerala and learn more recipe.
    wishing you a memorable stay with near and dear ones,
    sasneham,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ela ada looks so perfect dear, reminds me of my grandma's ada.
    Have a great time in India and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the time in India, i love love ada, one thing i always ask mom to make for me when i am home is ada and kozhikotta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. same pinch.., even I am heading to India in a couple of weeks. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is awesome smittens...my grandmom used to make them for us, i wish i cud show her these!!
    wud love to try my hands at these....ur recipes are so hatke and so tempting to make, if theres one person whose recipes i follow and love to try...they are urs.
    U have a great trip and come back with lots of goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Entamme..vayil kappalodan thodaghi..tempting pics...I am drooling over it just thinking about how tasty it will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow this looks yum!its my fav.........will get to enjoy this soon....

    ReplyDelete
  19. The elai ada looks delicious and nice and tempting to have it instantly.You can visit my blog and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All I have is memories of the one instance I tasted it. Would not mind a second opportunity. I cannot remember seeing it being available in Bombay though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a great vacation in India and bring to us loads of authentic Indian recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. my first visit here.u got an excellent blog!!!
    ela ada kandittu kothiyavunnu.
    Enjoy ur vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's new to me....looks extremely delicious...have happy time with loved ones.....enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  24. yummy ada...very tempting pics...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

    ReplyDelete
  26. Smitha, have a safe journey, enjoy to the core, oh man 3 months...have fun with your family, yes mommys food are always divine.

    Ela ada sounds kool...I have pack of banana leaves lying in my freezer, dunno what to do, you gave me an idea. Thanks a lot for this wonderful recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. New for me, wonderful recipe. Safe journey and enjoy ur time in India.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey smiths...looks like u r having lot of fun....blogging ellaam pathukkeyaanalo....hope ur fmly is doing great....coem back with bunch of ur moms recipes...will be waiting...

    BTW, the comment section wors fine these days....i hope it will be so everytime:)...see u soon in action...
    Hugs,
    shabs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A very new recipe to me.....nice clicks and hope you are having nice time in India

    ReplyDelete
  30. i think we have to give a flash news like "a wonderful blogger Smitha is missing.."
    come back with your lovely recipes..ela ada looks amazing..i had posted earlier..snap is really tempting, especially i loved that green coffee mug and plate.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Smitha, your ella ada reminds me of mom, and i long to take a bite of that lovely breakfast.... but i wonder if my Punju husband would like something like this!!! I guess I will just be happy being content with the pics - poor me

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh hi

    first time here..i know at this moment you are having time of your life in India..beautiful blog and recipes too..

    cheers and do visit me if you can

    http://joyofcooking247.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Smitha, could you please post a recipe for "vepila-kettu", if you know it? thanks, satish menon

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Smitha,

    Your blog seems to be quite interesting...I am Karuppannan from Coimbatore... Could you kindly share with us a recipe for Indian Steamed White Cakes and Coconut Sauce if you have any Plz...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Smitha,

    This is Muthazhagi from Uppilipalayam. I really enjoyed reading your recipes.. even tried some at home but somehow could nt really get those frozen plantain leaves here... any idea where we get it??????

    ReplyDelete
  37. hey found you through foodbuzz. you have got a nice space here. the recipe here reminds me karanhi which we make in Maharashtra..great space and great clicks..

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Smitha, First time here. Ada looks delicious and superb clicks !! Drop @ http://sashirecipes.com sometime when u find time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I had this for the first time last summer. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! yummy ela ada..nice presentation..pictures are so good..first time here and I'm happy I found your blog..you have a very nice space..drop at my blog when you get time..I'm following you Dear..

    ReplyDelete
  41. It came out very good...Thank u....

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll