Tuesday, October 20, 2009

2-in-1 Recipe - Carrot Halwa / Carrot Kheer

Diwali wishes everyone. And prayers for a prosperous, healthy and happy year ahead.

My hubby has been pestering me, for days, to make carrot halwa. Finally, with a little time on my hands yesterday, I prepared it for him. He was mighty pleased.


Whenever I make carrot halwa, I save the left over and beat it into a glass of milk with some saffron strands and make carrot kheer out of it. I would recommend serving this kheer chilled.
So, basically, this is a 2-in-1 recipe.

Ingredients:

(Serves 4)



  • Carrots - 5 (grated)
  • Milk - 2 cups
  • Evaporated milk - 1 cup( substitute with plain whole milk)
  • Sweetened condensed milk - 5 tbspns
  • Sugar - 1/3 cup or to taste
  • Cardamom powder - 1/4 tspn
  • Cashews and raisins - 4 tbspns each
  • Ghee- 1 tbspn.
Directions:


  • Fry cashews and raisins in the ghee and set aside.
  • Take a sauce pan and add milk and set on medium-low heat.
  • Add the carrots and stir and let cook for about 15 mins.
  • Then add evaporated milk and condensed milk and cook on high heat for 10 mins , stirring continuously. ( Cook for longer if the milk has not been completely absorbed into the carrots)
  • Add sugar and reduce heat to low.
  • When the mixture reaches a halwa consistency. Turn off heat and add cardamom, cashews and raisins.
  • Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Luv 'n' luc'
Smitha

21 comments:

  1. i was thinking of making carrot halwa for diwali too but ended up making other things..post will be up soon. Your halwa looks nice n creamy, just the way i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lush! Would love to dive straight into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy halwa...even I made halwa n ofcourse with doodhi with doodhi...halwa looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love carrot halwa. I think it's little too laborious but totally worth it. Like ur idea of making kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and colourful carrot halwa...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....that's an drool worthy recipe.....looks yummy...never tried carrot kheer....will try this on weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome halwa dear...do participate in my first cooked food event....check my blog for details

    ReplyDelete
  8. Khajar halwa as is known in Delhi is my favourite.The sweet shops sell in the evenings serving them hot.Your picture with raisins and kaju look great

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with u smitha,u can try carrot burfi too by adding coconuts,right?Delicious halwa and belated Diwali wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy dish dear, Do participate in my food for orphanages event

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Recipe! Looks Awesome!! And one of the tempting halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. carrot kheer as halva... mm :)

    I like gajar ka halva a lot. May be I will get a pic some day.

    :( aah... I will also have such pics when I go home... appa kanichu taram :)

    The halva looks good but appears wet. The one we prepare is dry and appears crisp. I never tasted such ersion. Hope it tastes nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious and sweet carrot halwa, looks yummy in the picture.you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. delicious & colourful carrot halwa :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrot halwa has been a standard in my home since I can remember, and yours looks luscious and decadent ... just the way it should be! Hope you had a fantastic diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Smitha,
    Good Morning!i reached here late.but it is better late,than never,nah?
    my Kishen loves gajar ka halwa.so,beautiful,your photos are!so tempting!
    Thanks for the wonderful n delicious DIWALI gift!
    wishing you a beautiful day.............
    sasneham,
    anu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks very tasty!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had many flavours of this sweet delight but never a carrot one, I will have to try it.

    Love
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my hubby loves this halwa.. The color looks stunning.. And the good thing is we dont have to add anything artificial

    ReplyDelete

How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

BlogRoll