My hubby has been pestering me, for days, to make carrot halwa. Finally, with a little time on my hands yesterday, I prepared it for him. He was mighty pleased.
Whenever I make carrot halwa, I save the left over and beat it into a glass of milk with some saffron strands and make carrot kheer out of it. I would recommend serving this kheer chilled.
So, basically, this is a 2-in-1 recipe.
- Carrots - 5 (grated)
- Milk - 2 cups
- Evaporated milk - 1 cup( substitute with plain whole milk)
- Sweetened condensed milk - 5 tbspns
- Sugar - 1/3 cup or to taste
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tspn
- Cashews and raisins - 4 tbspns each
- Ghee- 1 tbspn.
- Fry cashews and raisins in the ghee and set aside.
- Take a sauce pan and add milk and set on medium-low heat.
- Add the carrots and stir and let cook for about 15 mins.
- Then add evaporated milk and condensed milk and cook on high heat for 10 mins , stirring continuously. ( Cook for longer if the milk has not been completely absorbed into the carrots)
- Add sugar and reduce heat to low.
- When the mixture reaches a halwa consistency. Turn off heat and add cardamom, cashews and raisins.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Luv 'n' luc'