Monday, November 26, 2012

Appam and Stew





Diwali came with much excitement and enthusiasm. The house was cleaned spic and span. There was a sprawling rangoli at my door step and all the diyas glimmering away.  And then, all of a sudden, diwali came to an end with a lot of noise and air pollution.

Right now, we have bright sunny days in Bangalore. But, there is a chill wind indicating the onset of winter.  November is ticking away with only a few days left for everyone to start updating their new year's resolution. Can't believe that 2012 too is coming to a close. Wow! That was fast.  But, I'm looking forward to all the excitement coming up in December with Christmas and New year's and can't wait to try out some new restaurants this the festive season.




Coming to my recipe for today.  Appam and stew is a breakfast dish served in Kerala. It is a high calorie meal, but I or in fact we love it. Some folks like serving appam with milk an d sugar. But, i think that appam is best served with stew.  Click here for stew recipe.



    Ingredients:( Makes 16 appams)
    • Rice flour - 1-1/2 cups
    • Cooked rice - 1 cup
    • Grated coconut - 1 cup
    • Water - 3 cups
    • Coconut milk - 1/4 cup (optional)
    • Yeast - 1/2 tspn
    • Sugar - 2 tspns
    • Salt - to taste
    • Milk - 1/4 cup (optional)


    Directions:
    •  In 1/2 cup of warm water, add yeast and sugar and set aside for 5 mins.
    • Other than salt and milk, grind the rest of the ingredients together. Add proofed yeast mixture and let ferment for 5-6 hours. 
    • Just before making the appams, add salt and milk to the batter.
    • To make appam, pour one ladle of batter in a hot appam pan and rotate the pan so the batter coats the sides of the pan. Cover and let cook for 2-3 mins. And serve hot (Appams are cooked only on one side)
    • I have demonstrated how to make appam with pics.
    • Best served with stew. Click here for stew recipe.




    Photobucket

    13 comments:

    1. These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post valentines teddy bear

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love this....
      http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. A mallu friend of mine had once made appam n chicken stew for me. The very thought of it makes me drool. But I had not documented the recipe for appam. Thanks for sharing this recipe ...... the appams look perfect. Can't wait to try it :)

      Cheers

      ReplyDelete
    4. Appam and stew my family favorite. Looks yummy
      www.cookingatmayflower.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. Saffron is a costly condiment which enhances the flavor of food. Many fake sources are available for saffron sale. Buy saffron online from a trusted source only.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Perfect combo and looks Delicious..First time here, love your space and happy to follow you. Do check my blog dear..

      Saras
      Dish In 30 minutes ~ Breakfast Recipes with Giveaway

      ReplyDelete
    7. I love this recipe. One of my favorites. Thank you for sharing this.


      Simon

      ReplyDelete
    8. Appam is  my favourite dish. It can be eat with many varieties of dishes. best rice manufacturers in kerala give quality rice for make appam tasty. You have a variety of recipe collection. I like this very much.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I precisely had to thank you very much once more. I am not sure what I could possibly have made to happen without the tactics shared by you concerning such a situation. This has been a daunting issue in my opinion, but being able to view your skilled technique you dealt with the issue made me to leap for contentment. I am thankful for this support and thus hope that you recognize what a great job you have been undertaking instructing people today with the aid of your web page. I am certain you haven't met all of us.
      electric sauté pot

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts.

      Almond Flour Bulk

      ReplyDelete
    11. Wow, you have beautifully decorated this post. I really appreciate it very much. People like you also exist in the world. Who share everything. And there are some people who do not share anything with anyone. I wish today's youth wrote your kind post, thank you very much.

      Call Girls Noida
      Adult Gurugram Call Girls
      Neha Call Girls Gurugram
      Call Girls Sector 4
      Call Girls Sushant Lok
      Call Girls Noida
      Call Girls DLF Phase 4
      Gurugram Call Girls Photos
      Call Girls In Surazkund

      ReplyDelete

    How beautiful a day can be
    When kindness touches it!
    ~George Elliston

    Having 24 hours in a day does not seem sufficient in these times.People are so busy. But it takes just a moment to show kindness.Thank you for stopping here an instant to pen your comments. I appreciate this kindness.Thank you. YOU MADE MY DAY:)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

    BlogRoll